Please check this page often for the most up-to-date information! You may also visit our blog and social media pages for updated, in-depth posts about this event. wellstonmainstreet.com/category/celebration-of-our-nation/
It is time for the third annual Celebration of Our Nation, held on the streets of Historic Downtown Wellston, Ohio! Wellston Main Street is excited to be coordinating this huge event for our hometown.
We would also like to thank our sponsors. Without the support of generous local businesses, persons, and organizations, the Celebration would not be possible. Please thank them for their support of this event.
Preliminary events will include:
- Starting at 9:00 am: The 3rd Annual Wellston Main Street 5K will set off from the Depot on Railroad Ave. This event is ideal for both runners and walkers of all ages. The course is flat out and back and mainly takes place on our city bike path. $100 cash will be awarded to the top male and the top female runner, and prizes for the overall top male and top female walker will also be given. All finishers will receive a medal! You may pre-register for $20 at www.tristateracer.com until 12:00 am on July 4, 2019. You may also register on race day for $25, beginning at 8:00 am. Please note that you must have been registered by June 23rd, 2019 to be guaranteed a race t-shirt. The 5K is a fundraiser to benefit Wellston Main Street and our work to better the Wellston community. Special thanks to our t-shirt sponsors! *
- Starting at 1:00 pm: Wellston Main Street, alongside the Wellston American Legion Post #371, will be coordinating a Patriotic Sidewalk Art Contest. The community is encouraged to browse these creative displays! Businesses, individuals, groups, and organizations are encouraged to decorate the sidewalks with beautiful images of patriotic pride. For the registration fee of $10, you will receive all supplies (including red, white, and blue chalk) and your own section of the sidewalk, approximately 8×4, to decorate. Please note that decorating will take place from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. Judging will take place at 12:30 pm. Also, please be aware that sections of the sidewalk will be sectioned off to protect the artwork and honor its symbolism to our great nation. Finished Sidewalk Art Contest displays will be visible during the entire Celebration of Our Nation, weather permitting. *
- Many of our local member merchants will be open during regular business hours. Please make an effort to patronize their businesses and thank them for supporting us! A list of our member businesses is available below.
The 2019 Celebration of Our Nation officially begins at 3:00 pm on Saturday, July 6, 2019!
Celebration of Our Nation events will include:
- 2:30 to 4:30 pm: Caricature artist Steve Campbell will be set up in Pride Park. We encourage you to stop by early to receive your FREE caricature drawing, thanks to Jenkins Care Community!
- Starting at 3:00 pm until the Fireworks: We will have a wide variety of vendors set up throughout Pride Park, including a variety of food vendors. A list will be published on our social media ASAP. As a quick reminder, the Depot and Pride Park will be THE place to be until the Celebration of Our Nation.
- Various children’s activities will be available! Mark Wood from the Mark Wood Fun Show, featuring his ever-popular balloon animals, will be around the park from 3:00 to 5:00 pm, courtesy of Donna Summers Realty. Also, the Wellston High School Cheerleaders will be doing face painting!
- Starting at 4:00 pm: Stop by Wellston Flowerland for the Apple Pie Contest! Amateurs, professionals, and bakers in-between are encouraged to submit their version of this American classic. Please submit your pie to Flowerland by 3:00 pm on Saturday, July 6th so it may be prepared for judging. First, second, and third prizes will be awarded thanks to our sponsor. *
- 5:30 pm: We are looking for participants for our Bicycle Decorating Contest and our Golf Cart Decorating Contest! This is a great way to participate in the parade while showing off your patriotic pride. Please note that all Golf Carts must be properly licensed. Additionally, no lawn mowers are permitted due to safety concerns. Wellston Main Street reserves the right to reject any parade entrant. In order to qualify for prizes, golf carts and bicycles must participate in the entire Hometown Parade. Many thanks to Faigreens Golf Course for sponsoring the Golf Cart Contest and Yesterday’s Antiques for sponsoring the Bicycle Decorating Contest. Please use this form to participate; you may print it out and submit it to us in advance or pick one up to fill out by 5:30 pm at the parade line-up site. An electronic copy is available here. *
- 6:30 pm: Our Hometown Parade will go through the downtown area: Old High School Lot on S. Pennsylvania Ave., left to E. Broadway Street, left to S. Ohio Ave., and right to E. Second Street, ending in the Pants Factory lot area. We are actively seeking participants for our parade; Veterans groups, businesses, organizations, churches, antique and/or unique owners, and other similar items are highly encouraged to participate! Please be at the Old High School lot by 5:30 pm on July 6 in order to line up. You may view the application on our website here. We would greatly appreciate it if you could mail or e-mail it to us at email@example.com in advance.
- Approximately 7:00 pm: Wellston Main Street’s own Valleri Crabtree will announce prize winners for the day’s competitions at the Pride Park gazebo, in addition to the winner of our $250 Winner’s Drawing – information for that is below!
- 7:30 pm until Fireworks: Thanks to the Ohillco Society, DJ Jimmy Spencer will kick off an evening of fun in preparation for the fireworks. Make sure to browse through the vendors again and pick a prime spot to watch one of the area’s best fireworks displays!
- The third annual Celebration of Our Nation Fireworks Display by Tripwire Operations will take place around 9:45 pm and will be let off near the area of Wellston Fire Department Station #2 and the Wellston Community Garden. Huge thanks go to our fireworks sponsor, General Mills!
*What are the asterisks about? Great question!
The First Place Winner of the Apple Pie Contest, the Patriotic Sidewalk Art Contest, the Bicycle Decorating Contest, the Golf Cart Decorating Contest, AND the Top Male and Top Female Runners in the Wellston Main Street 5K
will all be in a raffle to win $250, courtesy of Wellston Main Street!
If you need a reason to participate in our events, we hope this is it!
HUGE THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS:
General Mills, Wellston Legion Post, Wellsotn Main Street, OHillCo Society, Jenkins Care Community, Donna Summers Realty, Maxine Plummer, Yesterday’s Antiuqes, and Fairgreens Golf Club
AND OUR MEMBER BUSINESSES!
Agar Media, Atomic Credit Union, Brian Lintala Photography, Brodigan’s Sports and Trophies, Buckeye Construction & Restoration Ltd., Derrow Insurance, Donna, Summers Realty, Edgewood Manor of Wellston, Flowerland, General Mills, Giovanni’s of Wellston, H and R Block, Holzer Health System, The Home Center Plus, Jenkins Care Community, Jenkins Funeral Chapel, Jerry’s Do-it Center, Lackey’s PDQ, Lockard Insurance Agency Inc., McFadden Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling, McWilliams Funeral Home, Mike’s BP, Milton Banking Company – a Division of Ohio Valley Bank, Oths, Heiser, Miller, Waigand and Clagg LLC, Our Darling Creations, Rusted Barn, Steel McKee Images, The Store, and Yesterday’s Antiques
Thank you for your interest, we hope to see you on Saturday, July 6th! 🇺🇸 Please share these details with your friends and neighbors.